St Barnabas Church, Temple Inn Lane, Temple Cloud, BS39 5DB
On the first Sunday of each month we have a Celebration & Praise Service led by a Worship Leader, which is fairly informal and a band plays. On the third Sunday of each month we hold a Holy Communion service using the Book of Common Worship. Both of these services start at 10.30am and are followed by tea and coffee. The Church has toilet & baby changing facilities, a PA and hearing loop system, but limited disabled access. The hall is available for hire. The Church is quite difficult to find, tucked away over a cattle grid and behind the telephone exchange!
St Barnabas was designed in 1924 by WD Caroe in the Arts and Crafts style, popular in many areas of national life at the time. In particular, the rather fine metal work fixtures and a beautiful carved reredos depicting Jesus and angels. St Barnabas is a Hall style church, perfectly suited to Sunday Services and by the community on other days for a wide variety of purposes. Unusually, we have a bell tower, or “bellicote” open to the elements which houses a pair of bells, made specifically for our church, cast in 1924 by Mears and Stainbank of Whitechapel, London.
St Barnabas was erected by bequests from William Rees-Mogg of Cholwell House in the Parish and his daughter, Catherine Rees-Mogg. The site was given by Commander B. Hippisley of Ston Easton Park in 1925. There is a brass plaque inside the south porch recording these gifts.