St Augustine of Hippo, Church Lane, Clutton, BS39 5SH
We hold a service at the Church of St Augustine on most Sundays. The 8.30am services on the first and fourth Sundays are Holy Communion and use the Book of Common Prayer. These are quiet and traditional in style. There is a Holy Communion service using the Book of Common Worship at 10.30am on the second Sunday of each month. The 10.30am service on the fourth Sunday of the month is a more modern service led by a Worship leader. The Church has disabled access, a disabled toilet, PA system and hearing loop. Refreshments are served after the 10.30am services. The Church is left open on Sundays from March to October, until dusk, if you would like to look around. The large Churchyard is still open for burials.
The Church is part of the Parish of Clutton with Cameley that also includes the villages of Temple Cloud and Cameley. The Parish is part of a benefice with Bishop Sutton and Stowey and is included in the Chew Magna Deanery in the Diocese of Bath & Wells.
The Church, which is Grade II* listed, was largely rebuilt in 1863 but we believe there has been a Church on the site since the 11th century. There is a framed list of incumbents dating back to the 14th century. The tower was rebuilt in 1728 with striking red sandstone banding but retains some 15th century openings. The Church is built of Pennant sandstone, the roof is Welsh slate and was completely replaced in 2009 with the assistance of a grant from English Heritage. The chancel and the porch have some Norman features present. The tower contains 6 bells, the oldest being recorded as cast in 1680 and there is an active group of bell ringers in the village.
There are several war graves in the Churchyard and also the Grade II listed graves of the Purnell family and the Brodribb family (noted for their connection with the actor Henry Irving – real name John Henry Brodribb).